Vol 2 – September 2017
Term 3 has been a busy and exciting time for all our students, as the school jointly celebrated our 23rd Annual Speech Day and 52nd National Day.
The joint celebration was held on Tuesday, 8 August with a host of celebratory activities.
The morning began with our National Day Observance Ceremony and Parade by our Uniformed Groups. Following that, the School’s 23rd Speech and Prize-Giving Ceremony was attended by our Sec 4 and 5 students at the school hall, while our Sec 1 to 3 students participated in our special National Day Lessons with #OneNationTogether as the theme for our lessons.
After lessons, students enjoyed themselves with our “Food and Games Carnival” put up by the CCA groups. The celebrations ended with our very own ‘Peirce Idols’ at the school hall.
The School was most heartened to have about 100 parents and ex-Peirceans taking time to join us in our celebrations.
Term 3 is also a critical period for the preparation of GCE N and O level Exam for Sec 4 and 5 students. Additional sessions of supplementary lessons are conducted to ensure that our students are ready and well prepared for the upcoming exams.
Let me take this opportunity to express my deep appreciation to the subject teachers who have gone the extra mile for our students by giving them the support and guidance during this critical time to excel in their major exams.
The Term will close with our School’s Cross Country Event and Teachers’ Day Celebration on 30 August, the last day of school. The school has always received strong participation from parents for our Cross Country event. This year, for parent participants who are able to stay back after the Cross Country run, will be able to join the school in our Teachers’ Day Concert put up by our Student Leaders.
In the evening, all staff will be treated to a sumptuous Teachers Dinner sponsored by our School Advisory Committee (SAC) to show our deep appreciations to our teachers who have worked tirelessly to value-add to our students’ education and development. Our Peirce Parent Support Group Committee will also be invited to join our teachers in the Teachers Day Dinner to thank the PPSG Committee for their support and hard work in organising the many activities for parents and students.
The Semestral Assessment 2 for the S1 to S3 classes will start in week 4 of Term 4. We seek support from parents to assist us by monitoring your child’s revision during the one-week September school break to help them keep up a steady pace in their studies.
I wish you and your family a happy and healthy vacation period.
Fax Mentis Incendium Gloriae.
Mdm Lee Eet Fong
- The school congratulates recipients of National Day Awards 2017; Mdm Ang Siow Kuan, Senior Teacher on being awarded the Commendation Medal and Mrs Teo Chui Wan, HOD, MTL and Mr Zulkifli Bin Jabal, Technical Support Officer the Long Service Medal.
- The 4N(A) students have recently completed their Preliminary Exams II while the 4E and 5N(A) students have begun theirs starting 25 Aug.
- The Evening Self-study Programme (ESP) which began on 24 Jul for 4N(A) and 14 Aug for 4E & 5N(A) /aims to provide the students a conducive environment for self-study.
- September Holiday Academic Programme - To better prepare students to perform well for the coming examination, identified students from the upper secondary levels will attend lessons on the first three days of the September school holidays.
- CCA sessions will be temporarily suspended starting 11 Sep for students to focus on preparing for Semestral Assessment 2. However, a couple of CCAs with HQ planned activities will proceed as previously planned.
- With strong support from teachers, instructors, parents and fuelled by a strong team spirit, Peirce Choir together with their counterparts from Bishan Park Secondary School has performed well and bagged a Diamond Award at B-dazzled! Singapore Show Choir Festival 2017 on 29 July. Additionally, they received the ‘Best Choreography’ Award. Well done, Choir!
- Eight teams from the Alpha Robotics Club participated in the Marine and Offshore Challenge 2017 organised by Ngee Ann Polytechnic and the Association of Singapore Marine Industries. One team was awarded the 'Most Innovative Hull Design' Award as well as the Bronze Award in the Underwater Challenge segment of the competition. Well Done!
- Environment Programme: The school continues to provide opportunities for students to put their values in action by doing their part for the community:
- Students from SJAB, NPCC and Volleyball were involved in collecting old newspaper and used clothes for recycling at Sin Ming Court on 27 May. Seventh year running, this project is in partnership with Thomson-Sin Ming Court RC and is aligned with the school’s environmental education efforts.
- Ethan Ang, Tan Zi Yi & See Shao Jun all from 1E1 participated in the National Environment Quiz organised by the National Environment Agency and Hua Yi Secondary School on 31 May & 1 June.
- Speech Day cum National Day Celebrations - 8 Aug
- The celebrations began with ceremonial parade and ‘Recollections’ followed by prize giving ceremony. Former Principals and parents joined in the celebrations.
- Peirce Idol 2017 attracted six soloists and ten groups for audition this year. Three soloists and four groups pitted their vocals on this day. During the event, $110 was raised for the President’s Challenge 2017 Heart Bus Campaign.
- The CCA Carnival was held as part of National Day celebrations. The event was planned and run by the CCA leaders who put into practice their training in event planning and management. Proceeds from the carnival, which amounted to $515, were donated to the President’s Challenge 2017 Heart Bus Campaign.
- Humanities Department: In August, Sec 2 students successfully completed their Geographical Investigation (GI) conducting interviews and analysing data gathered on housing at Bishan North.
- Health & Fitness (H&F) Week 2017: The last two weeks of Term 3 saw Peirceans actively involved in a series of activities organised specially to emphasize the importance of keeping healthy and fit. The activities included an inter class relay, inter class games, Learn @ Peirce and the week ended with the annual Cross Country.
- 24th Annual Cross Country: This year’s Cross Country was held on 30 Aug, the last day of Term 3, at Bishan Park. Like past years, besides student races, there were also races for staff and parents, run on an inter house basis.
- Teachers’ Day Celebrations 30 Aug: The Student Council coordinated and held a concert for the celebrations. Staff were treated to a dinner organised by the Staff Welfare Committee. We thank our SAC for their generous sponsorship of the dinner.
- Sec 2 Outdoor Adventure Camp 2017: Between 4 and 7 July, our secondary 2 cohort and students from Bishan Park Secondary School participated in the MOE Dairy Farm Pilot Programme. This is part of MOE’s National Outdoor Adventure Education Masterplan to strengthen the holistic development of students. The programme seeks to develop ruggedness, resilience, and build cohesion amongst our students. Though it was a tough camp, most campers enjoyed themselves.
- Semestral Assessments 2: The exam timetable, list of exam topics and exam paper formats have been issued to students on 29 Aug. Your child need not attend school on Mon 16 Oct and 23 Oct being Marking Day and Promotion Day respectively.
- Graduation Ceremony 5 Oct: The Graduation Ceremony will signify an important milestone for Sec 4E and 5N(A) students. We wish our graduating students all the best in the national exams.
- Humanities Department: On 19 and 20 Oct, Sec 3 Geography students will be involved in fieldwork studies as part of assessment requirement of the syllabus.
- Head-start Programme for Sec 3E: Sec 3E students will attend lessons on part of their remaining syllabus from 23 Oct to 10 Nov. This is aimed at giving head-start preparation for their curriculum in 2018. Details of the programme will be available in Term 4. Kindly avoid this period when planning the year end holiday for your child / ward if he /she is in Sec 3E.
- The CCA department will be organising an Overseas Experiences in Hong Kong from 12 to 16 Nov for UG and Sports CCA students. The trip aims to enhance participants’ 21st century competencies, in particular global awareness, cross cultural skills, communication & collaboration skills, through a varied itinerary. Participants will have the opportunity to visit and interact with their counterparts in at least two local schools.
Contact Details Update
The school needs to be informed as soon as there are changes in your child / ward’s contact details i.e. contact number, guardian and official address. Please update us using the ‘Request Form for Updating of Student’s Official Address’ available from the school General Office.