1. Department Members
|Mrs Teo-Seet Chui Wan (HOD Mother Tongue Languages)||email@example.com|
|Ms Tan Pei Ghee (SH Chinese Language)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mdm Lam Tze Kim (LT Chinese Language)||email@example.com|
|Miss Chai Hsueh Chi Michellefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Ganesh Prasad Harihara Subramaniamemail@example.com|
|Mr Ismail Bin Abdullahfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mdm Lee Chun Neeemail@example.com|
|Miss Li Yingfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mdm Rosnani Bte Suniemail@example.com|
|Mdm Sellaiah Kousalyafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Miss Suriyanti Bte Jumariemail@example.com|
|Miss Toh Xin Rongfirstname.lastname@example.org|
2. Department Programmes
Our key approaches to teaching of MTL include:
- engaging students in purposeful and active learning in lessons through interactive, authentic and differentiated performance tasks:
- conducting regular formative assessments to inform both teachers and students on the progress of learning; and
- providing enrichment programmes for students to actively learn MTL and its associated culture to experience MTL as ‘a living language’.
- In classroom learning, students are paired / grouped purposefully that facilitate critical thinking and active learning through discussions. Such strategies provide a platform for developing 21st century competencies (21CC) in our students in the area of communication and collaboration skills.
- We also leverage on use of ICT tools and e-learning platforms to develop self-directed learning and collaborative learning as students acquire mastery of language skills. Lessons and earning tasks posted on Student Learning Space (SLS) provide opportunities for self-directedness in learning
- MTL Fortnight and Cultural Camp Programme provide students with authentic opportunities in using MTL and experience the Chinese, Malay or Tamil cultures.
Appreciating Chinese Culture – Hand-puppet making, Book-making, Clay sculpture workshop, handicraft workshop
Appreciating Malay Culture – Batik making, Jawi writing, Weaving of tablemates
Appreciating Tamil Culture - Agal vilakku painting, Copper Tooling, Food
- Applied Learning Programme provide students with a authentic platform to put the language skills they learn in the classroom into an authentic context.
Sec 1 - Story-creation Workshop, Drama Workshop
Sec 2 – New Media Workshop
- Reading Programme encourage students to read widely through selected reading materials and subscription of magazine.
Lower Sec – Stories books or short stories
Upper Sec - Newspapers or Students’ magazine
- Conversation Chinese / Malay equip students with basic conversation skills in another language.
- Learning Journeys to Asian countries provide students with overseas immersion opportunities to broaden their horizon and deepen their cross-cultural understanding.
Johor Bahru, Malaysia Immersion Programme (2019)
China Xiamen Immersion Programme (2019)
- Competitions - To provide opportunities for students to showcase their talents in MTL.
CL – Essay Writing Competition
ML – Sahibba Competition
TL - Debate